Thursday, February 14, 2008

Taffy Likes...Once


While I was back in Montreal, I popped into the local Videotron store to check out the used DVD's for my train trip back to T.O. and bought the 2007 Irish Film "Once". Generally, I loathe romantic movies as I just can't swallow the typical formulas that they follow: the meet cute, at first they can't stand each other, the girl falls down a lot, the guy keeps saying stupid things, they fight, they realize that guy/girl is the "one" and everything works out in the end. God, I hate that stuff.
Thankfully, "Once" is not that kind of movie. It rises above the formula by being, at least for me, realistic in how two people can meet, form an attraction, bring out the best in each other, and create a bond that despite where life may lead them, they will alway share.
The film's leads, Guy (Glen Hansard) and Girl (Marketa Irglova) are musicians by trade, not professional actors but because so much of the film's emotional impact comes through the music they make, any experience they may lack isn't really an issue. And what music they make, it's the real heart of the film and it's what draws Guy & Girl together and sustains their connection. Both Hansard & Irglova have been nominated for an Oscar in the Best Achievement in Music Written for Motion Pictures, Original Song for "Falling Slowly" and I will be watching the awards with a box of tissue paper by my side to dry my sentimental tears when they perform it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home